1. Record the item in the accession book*, and enter accession number on the title page.
2. Determine call number and subject headings, and enter call number on the title page.
3. Fill out a processing worksheet. (See next page.)
4. Enter information into computer, (or type cards).
5. Print out labels, (or type labels).
6. Stamp pocket.
7. Attach labels to card, pocket, and spine of item, or spine of book jacket.
8. Stamp the title page, and check it for accession number and call number. Put a mark of ownership on each non-book item and on its cover.
9. Glue in the pockets (usually on the last page facing the back cover).
10. Put a book jacket cover on the book jacket and attach to book. (On paperbacks, cover or reinforce with contact paper, if desired.)
11. Shelve the item.
* The accession book is a record book where you write the following information: Author, title, publisher, copyright date, price, and other purchase (or gift) information.
Accession number (Item ID)
Material Type Age Group
(Last name) (First name)
In Memory of
In Honor of
Cost $ Entry date