VCLA was first organized by volunteer church librarians on November 12, 1958, at Virginia Beach, Virginia as the State Church Library Convention of Virginia. In 1960 the first Spring Workshop was held at Eagle Eyrie Baptist Conference Center and members worked to open the Media Center there in 1974. The current name was adopted in 2014. The organization voted to publish a semi-annual newsletter and collect individual membership dues. Today it is a voluntary organization of Christian members who are dedicated to the support and advancement of church library ministries. Current ministry partners included Lifeway Christian Resources, while welcoming new members and partnerships to enhance the effectiveness of this ministry in all interested churches and others.
**History is updated every five years