SAMPLE LIBRARY SELECTION POLICIES
Materials for the church library should be chosen that satisfy the following criteria:
• The items selected should support and carry out the goals and purposes of the church and the
• People, places, and events should be presented honestly and accurately.
• Inspirational media, books for Bible study, etc., should express Christian principles and viewpoints.
• Materials about religions, or controversial issues, should be accurate and objective, not
argumentative and persuasive.
• In fiction, the story should be credible.
• In nonfiction, the information should be current, well-organized, and accurate.
• Informative books should be indexed.
• Materials should be attractive and of good quality.
• Materials should be appropriate in terms of age level and content for the intended users.
• Gifts of materials to the library should be accepted only with the understanding that they will be
judged by the above standards. Those that are not added to the church library will be returned
or disposed of. If the givers want the money given to the library to be part of their church
contributions, they need to check to determine the correct way to make the contributions.
The church membership has affirmed the following library policy:
• Library materials should be consistent with and support the mission of the church.
• The contents of the library collection should reflect the needs of the church groups and individuals.
• Materials should be physically well-constructed and in good condition.
• Inspirational materials should be Christian in viewpoint.
• Materials about religious groups should be objective.
• Information in the nonfiction materials should be accurate, and the works be indexed.
• The picture quality of printed materials and visual media should be good.
• Gifts of money and materials are accepted. Money is preferred, and the giver may help choose the
materials to be purchased. Gifts of media are subject to the above standards. If the gifts are
not accepted, they may be returned or given to others. If the givers want their money donations to
be part of their church contributions, they need to determine the correct way to donate.
• All materials are subject to approval by the library staff.